Saturday 11 November 2017

Lois Ehlert I


Lois Ehlert is a Caldecott winning illustrator born in 1934 her favourite technique has always been collage, possibly as a result of being given scraps of fabric by her seamstress mother, or off cuts of wood by her father. 
"I grew up getting art supplies, from both of them. My dad was a woodworker and my mum was a seamstress, so I had access to the most beautiful fabric, wonderful colours and a lot of textural things from my dad like nails and wire and wood. So I think I started out doing collage, without even realising or knowing how to spell the word in fact." Lois Ehlert 
Her works, particularly these earlier ones from her book; 'See 1, 2, 3,' 1964 are reminiscent of Leo Lionni's, 'Little Yellow and Little Blue' with lovely rough, torn edges and primitive shapes created by  hand tearing, that have great charm and immediacy.  




1 comment:

  1. I precisely needed to appreciate you all over again. I do not know the things I would have tried without the entire secrets discussed by you relating to my industry.
    It has been a real frustrating concern for
    me personally, but taking note of this professional fashion you processed the issue forced me
    to cry for delight. I am just happy for the service and
    trust you are aware of a great job you were providing teaching men and women using your
    web page. I am certain you've never come across all of us.

    ReplyDelete